Wiki Wednesday of July 7, 2010
The July Wiki Wednesday was fairly low-key with only a few participants. Mark Dilley, Kristina Weis, Dave Myers, Kotra DeNies, and Michael Andersen all met and talked about various things, including:
- US Social Forum (Mark helped organize the recent 2010 event and spoke about the experience)
- Wikimania 2010 (also just happened)
- Recent Changes Camp (aka RoCoCo, also just happened too)
- RecentChanges.org (the website and wiki for Recent Changes Camp, and how it's organized)
- Portland Afoot, its inaugural newsletter, its wiki
- Related Changes (the link in the toolbox to the left)
- Suggestions for PortlandWiki
- adding to the anonymous and new user captcha a message that explains how the captcha will eventually go away
- new article forms (use Semantic Forms extension or Extension:Form)
- suggested articles (based on http://portlandwiki.org/Special:WantedPages )
- new articles (based on http://portlandwiki.org/Special:NewPages )
- Blikis (blog-wikis)
Dave and kotra worked out some technical issues, so a MediaWiki update to PortlandWiki should be forthcoming, enabling an installation of the Vector skin, in turn enabling kotra to finally work on a new skin for the wiki (he hopes!).
One significant point of discussion was the idea of having these Wiki Wednesdays at a different venue. The reasons to do this were:
- elevator won't go past 4th floor after 5:30, and the outer doors might also lock at a certain point. Either could prevent some people from visiting.
- people who work at AboutUs might enjoy getting out of the office for these meetings.
- downtown may be a more convenient location for some people.
This could be a good topic to discuss in next month's meeting.
All in all, it was a good meeting and a welcome relief from the 95-degree weather.